People Incorporated’s “Artability” program is an annual celebration of the creativity and contributions of people living with mental illness to our community. A series of art and writing workshops lead up to the multi-day Artability Art Show & Sale held each fall. More than 100 artists from the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota participate in the workshops and art show each year. The show is a source of inspiration and pride for the area’s mental health community, and encourages artists to explore their interests, share their love of art and gain confidence in their skills. Artists are free to sell their work at the show and receive 80 percent of the profits, with the remaining 20 percent going back to support the program. Adam Levy has chosen the organization to receive 5 percent of first-year sales of his album Naubinway.

The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance is the leading peer-directed national organization focusing on the two most prevalent mental health conditions, depression and bipolar disorder, which affect more than 21 million Americans. Shannon Cuthrell has chosen the organization to receive 5 percent of the first month sales of her book The Great Repression.

SAVE was one of the nation’s first organizations dedicated to the prevention of suicide and was a co-founding member of the National Council for Suicide Prevention. Its work is based on the foundation and belief that suicide should no longer be considered a hidden or taboo topic. It is the organization Andy Steiner has designated to receive 5 percent of the first-month sales of her book, How to Survive: The Extraordinary Resilience of Ordinary People.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Since its inception, the Lifeline has engaged in a variety of initiatives to improve crisis services and advance suicide prevention. It is the organization that Janet Burroway has chosen to receive 5 percent of the first-month sales of her book, Losing Tim.

The Brain Injury Association of Virginia (BIAV), the organization that Rosemary Rawlins has chosen to receive 5 percent of the first-month sales of her book, Beneath the Armor: A Caregiver’s Story, is a good place to turn for information on traumatic brain injury. Founded in 1983 by families and concerned professionals, the BIAV is the only statewide non-profit organization in Virginia exclusively devoted to serving individuals with brain injury, their families, and those that care for and about them. It exists to be the primary source of information and personal support for thousands of individuals, families and professionals whose lives have been touched by a life-altering, often devastating injury. Over 10,000 people find help from BIAV each year.

If you’re looking for living options for loved ones with special needs, check in with our friends at L’ Arche DC, the organization Caroline McGraw has chosen to receive 5 percent of the first month’s sales of her book I Was a Stranger to Beauty. Founded by Jean Vanier in France in 1964, L’Arche communities bear witness to the reality that persons with intellectual disabilities possess inherent qualities of welcome, wonderment, spirituality, and friendship. L’Arche USA exists to strengthen our local communities, welcome more people into our life and work, engage in advocacy on behalf of those often on the margins of society, and to raise awareness of the gifts of persons with intellectual disabilities.